Massachusetts Laws regarding the landlord and tenant relationship can be complicated and technically challenging. Failure to properly and timely notify a tenant regarding late rent or other issues that are creating problems for the landlord will result in dismissal of an eviction case and require starting the process from the beginning. Corporate landlords must be represented by a Massachusetts eviction attorney in Court. They cannot use an employee or an agent in eviction proceedings. Our office has many years experience representing landlords and tenants. We cover the entire State of Massachusetts and look forward to assisting your needs as a landlord or tenant.

Eviction Lawyer For Landlords

If you are a Massachusetts landlord or an out-of-state landlord with property in Massachusetts and in need of an experienced Massachusetts tenant eviction lawyer, contact Attorney Alan Segal.

Evicting a tenant in Massachusetts can be very complex. You must follow the law regardless of whether the agreement is a tenancy at will (no lease) or if the tenant is under a lease.

There are several legitimate and lawful reason to evict a tenant. Usually eviction consists of removing a tenant who has breached the terms of a lease or rental agreement by; failure to pay rent, staying after the term has expired, and/or the tenancy agreement was on a month to month basis.

Know your rights. If you are a landlord looking to evict a tenant in Massachusetts who is in violation of the terms of a lease or rental agreement, contact us for a free and confidential consultation.

If you need the legal assistance from an experienced attorney, contact our Massachusetts eviction attorney today!

The Housing Court Department of the Trial Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has listed the following Frequently Asked Questions about evictions, landlords and tenants. Click on the question to retrieve the answer from the Housing Court Site:


  • What is a Housing Court? Is it just limited to landlord and tenant problems?
  • I understand that the Housing Court Department offer mediations to resolve cases before it. What is mediation?
  • I understand that the Housing Court Department employs Housing Specialist. What do they do?


  • How do I evict my tenant?
  • What is the purpose of the Notice to Quit?
  • Do I need a reason to evict my tenant?
  • Can I sue my tenant for money damages if I commence a Summary Process action?
  • If I win my Summary Process case, how do I get my tenant out of the dwelling and when?
  • Can I collect my rent without going through Summary Process?
  • Can I stop my tenant from causing damage to the apartment or creating other nuisances, before going through the eviction process?
  • Can I charge the tenant for water?
  • There was a drug raid in my tenant’s apartment. How soon can I get them out?
  • I served a Notice to Quit several months ago. Do I have to serve another Notice to Quit or can I use the prior notice and now serve the Summons?
  • The defendant was not in court. What do I (the plaintiff) do now?
  • After I have removed my tenants from my property, how do I go about collecting the rent

If you need the legal assistance from an experienced eviction attorney, contact our Massachusetts eviction attorney today!


  • Can the landlord evict me without going through the courts?
  • What do I do when I receive a notice to quit?
  • Do I have to leave the premises if I receive a Notice to Quit?
  • If I am served with a Summary Process Summons and Complaint, what do I do?
  • If my apartment has material defects, can I legally withhold my rent to induce my landlord to correct the violations?
  • Can my landlord enter my apartment when I am not at home?
  • Am I entitled to notice if my landlord wants to increase my rent?
  • If the landlord decides to commence an eviction action because I will not pay the rent increase, even if I have no defense to the eviction, can I still ask the court for a stay of execution?


  • Are Interrogatories and documents filed in the Housing Court?
  • What is the filing fee for Summary Process and Civil cases?
  • What is the filing fee for a Small Claims case?
  • Why do I need to file the Answer form in a Summary Process case?
  • I received a default notice in the mail, what should I do?
  • My landlord has threatened to change the locks to the apartment if I do not pay my rental arrearage. Can he do this?
  • Am I entitled to interest on my last month’s rent and security deposit, and how much?
  • I lost my case in court and the landlord has obtained an execution to move me out. Am I going to get any further notice?
  • My landlord has turned off the heat during the winter and my children are freezing. Is there anything I can do to obtain heat for my children as quickly as possible?
  • What are the filing dates for Summary Process cases?
  • I agreed to a payment schedule in court that I can’t afford to make. What do I do now?
  • I can’t make it into court for a hearing on a notice to show cause. What will happen to me?
  • Why can’t the court personnel discuss the violations with me? I own the property, why do I have to speak with the inspector?
  • Your court issued a warrant for my arrest. How do I remove the warrant?

If you need the legal assistance from an experienced attorney, contact us today!