Legal Questions & Answers

Can I Take Other Actions To Force My Landlord To Correct Code Violations?

You should first tell the landlord about the violations. If this does not work, you can contact your local Board of Health, or Inspectional Services, asking them to inspect the property. The Inspector can cite the property, and if the landlord does not comply with the order of the Inspector, the Board or the Department of Inspectional Services can bring your landlord to Housing Court. In addition, the tenant can come to the Housing Court to obtain compliance. The tenant can ask the court in a Civil case to authorize an Order, ordering the landlord to correct. Failure to so correct can result in civil contempt. The tenant can also swear out a Criminal Complaint.